Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chew on This


I think I need to start out by admitting the truth: I love Alton Brown. I have even considered going to stalk him in the finer grocery stores of north Atlanta. I've always been a bit of a science nerd, so his scientific approach to cooking and baking really appeals to me. I've been wanting to try his recipe for chewy chocolate chip cookies, and over the weekend, I got my chance! They turned out beautifully - fluffy, doughy, chewy, delicious.

The only change I've made to his original recipe is to decrease slightly the amount of chocolate chips - when it comes to cookies I like to highlight the flavor of the dough so that it isn't overpowered by the chocolate.


The Chewy

from Alton Brown

1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

In a large electric mixer bowl, measure the butter and the sugars. Blend until light and fluffy. Add milk, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Blend together again until completely combined.

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt). With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients to the egg and butter mixture until a soft dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover the dough and chill for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and spray the paper with cooking spray. Using a 1/3 cup scoop, drop balls of dough onto the greased parchment paper, allowing about 3-4 inches in between the cookies because they will spread while baking. Bake for 13-15 minutes. I like to cool them on a plate instead of a cooling rack so that they stay extra moist, but it's up to you. Enjoy!

7 comments:

MakeLifeDelicious.com said...

I love Alton Brown, too! Good Eats is one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing the chocolate chip cookie recipe...I'll have to give it a try!

Marta said...

I also like Alton Brown. I think he's cute and quirky, and I enjoy the science behind what he does. These cookies look amazing, you did a great job with the photos, they look nice asn chewy.
I just found your blog and I'm really glad I did. It's really beautiful and I like the concept. It seems romantically nostalgic to me :)

Lori said...

I am with you all the way. I lvoe the science portion of his show. And these cookies, well, I am with you there as well!

Unknown said...

Those look so phenomenal! I absolutely love Alton too but I've never tried his chocolate chip cookie recipe and it looks like it's a good one. Thanks for the post :)

kristina said...

I have been on the lookout for a really great chewy chocolate chip cookie. You've convinced me - I'm making these asap!

Anonymous said...

I've made these cookies three or four times now, but I can't figure out the perfect baking time. Sometimes they come out just right, and sometimes still smushy and falling apart, even after totally cool. How long do you normally bake them for?

Ellie said...

Oh, good call! I forgot to write the cooking-time in (oops!). Depending on your oven, it should take about 13-15 minutes. Hope the helps!

 

Made by Lena