Saturday, March 28, 2009

My Ultimate Comfort Food


I have gotten a lot of requests over the past several weeks for a rockin' recipe for macaroni and cheese. In face, some of you who know me in *real life* have expressed your shock and concern over the lack of a mac 'n' cheese recipe here on VV. This reaction is understandable, considering that the truth is . . . . macaroni and cheese is my #1 favorite food of all time!

Mac 'n' cheese is the food of my dreams, the food of my childhood, the food of my adulthood. I don't think I ever met a bowl of mac I didn't like. I'm going to come out and admit, flat out, that I am not too proud to make the occasional Kraft Mac 'n' Cheese - heck I practically grew up on the Blue Box. And I have been known to eat Velveeta Shells and Cheese right out of the pot, while sitting on the couch indulging in a sappy chick flick.

I like mine with broccoli, I like it with bacon, I like it baked, I like it from the stove-top. I

Your comments and requests, dear readers, do not fall on deaf ears. Added bonus? No slaving over a hot stove - this recipe is extra easy, with no beschemel sauce to cook.

With that, I am proud to unveil, my S'Mac 'n' Cheese! This is an incredibly flavorful dish, highlighting the sharp cheddar flavor while bringing a subtle heat and a soft onion flavor to the foreground.


S'Mac 'n' Cheese

You will be smackin' your lips . . .

1 1/4 cups elbow noodles
Salt
2.5 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
A pinch or two fresh ground pepper
A pinch cayenne pepper or red pepper flake
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1/3 cup sour cream
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons yellow onion, finely chopped or grated
3/4 cup half-n-half
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 shakes Worchestershire sauce
1 dash hot sauce (tobasco)
3/4 cup (about 5 ounces) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Sprinkle in som salt. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, according to the box instructions.

Meanwhile, grease an 8x8-inch baking dish. Drain the noodles well and pour them evenly into the prepared dish. Sprinkle in the cubed cheddar cheese, and mix gently until evenly distributed. Set the dish aside.

Measure the flour, the salt, the dry mustard, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg into a large mixing bowl, stirring the ingredients together. Add the sour cream and eggs, whisking until blended. Next, whisk in the onion, half-and-half, heavy cream, Worcestershire, and tobasco until the mixture forms a custard-like sauce. Pour this mixture over the macaroni in the baking dish. Finally, sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top.

Bake until the custard sauce sets around the edges but is still a bit saucy in the middle, about 30 minutes. After baking, allow the dish to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Kerstin said...

This looks AMAZING! I love mac&cheese too.

Ashley Pepitone said...

Thank you!!!!!

I made my own up as I went along the other night, can't wait to try this one!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great recipe.

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

OH. MY. GOSH. i have to make this soon, it looks amazzzzzziiiinnnggg!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love mac and cheese! This looks like a really good recipe!

Elizabeth said...

Baked Mac n' Cheese - my favorite, and yours looks amazing!

Unknown said...

Mac&Cheese is by far my favorite food. Well one of them. This looks delicious - I cant wait to try it!

 

Made by Lena