Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Kidney Bean Casserole



This recipe is a favorite side dish in my family, especially during the summer for all of our cookouts. The flavors blend beautifully for a zesty, sweet side dish packed with delicious and colorful veggies and beans. Just one bite, and you will be a fan for life!

Kidney Bean Casserole
from my Auntie Moo Moo
also contributed by my mom to Puttin' on the Peachtree, 1979

2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, partially drained
1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped or sliced
2 small onions, coarsely chopped or sliced
1 strip raw bacon, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 of a 14-ounce bottle ketchup or chili sauce

Combine all ingredients in casserole dish and bake, covered, for 2 hours at 325 degrees. May be prepared in advance and reheated.

Alternatively, combine ingredients in your crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, then low for 2-4 hours. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous pic and a delicious sounding recipe!

Molly Jean said...

Not only does it LOOK beautiful but it sounds delicious.

I'm not a vegetarian by any means but I could eat a plate full of veggies for every meal. And in this case, I could have had at least three bowls!!!

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

That sounds great, and looks wonderful as well! But I LOVE that bowl! So Gorgeous!

 

Made by Lena