Friday, September 25, 2009

Indian Curry Fried Eggplant



I'm always at a loss when it comes to a side dish for Indian cuisine. After making these tasty little fried eggplants thet other evening, I have a feeling that my Indian side dish crisis is officially averted.

These fluffy golden nuggets are crispy, ever so lightly battered, and rich with the flavors of a delicious yellow curry. The juicy eggplant inside perfectly compliments the spicy, golden brown crust. Once you taste one of these, it will be hard to stop.

Indian Fried Eggplant
from my trusty Betty Crocker Cookbook

1 medium eggplant (about 1.5 lbs.)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup salad oil

Wash eggplant. Beat remaining ingredients vigorously with a whisk until smooth. Heat oil one-inch deep to 375 in a large skillet.

Cut the eggplant into 1/4-inch slices (we had some long and skinny eggplants from our CSA farm basket, so I just cut them into little medallions). Dip the slices in the batter, letting the excess drip into the bowl. Fry in hot oil until golden brown - about 2-3 minutes - turning once.



Drain on paper towels. If desired, salt to taste.

To keep the slices warm and crisp, place in a 300 degree oven until ready to serve.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ellie -- I'm a displaced southern girl living in upstate NY and I really enjoy your blog. I have a question about this recipe... do you add the 1/4 c salad oil to the batter, or is that what you use to fry? Looks yummy!

Kerstin said...

Oh these look delicious and take eggplant to a whole other level - yum!

Devondola said...

Just had to tell you, I have been coming back to your blog ever since I 'stumble'd upon it... and this recipe is the first one I've made so far... and I know it won't be the last. These poppers are so tasty and easy to make, even got my lazy roommates to help me fry!
I did make a little dipping sauce to jazz them up a bit:

1 lemon full of juice
2 tbsp whole grain mustard
a dash of white vinegar
one fried and pressed clove of garlic
and a dash of olive oil.
complimented the spicy batter and eggplant!

Ellie said...

Hi, Laura!

The 1/4 cup of oil goes directly into the batter. You will need extra oil for the actual frying.

Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!

-Ellie


Hi, Devondola!

That recipe for a dipping sauce sounds delish! Can't wait to try it next time I make these. Thanks for sharing!

-Ellie

 

Made by Lena