Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pumpkin Bread



I couldn't say it better than my mom did: It's fall!! It's time for Pumpkin Bread!!

Here is what she wrote to me in an email when I asked her about the history behind her delicious pumpkin bread.

Yes it is definitely time for pumpkin bread! This is the recipe from the mother (Rose) of a very good friend of Nanny's. Nanny would make this and send it to me when I was in college back in the sixties. I think it is the only pumpkin bread recipe I've ever seen that does not include cinnamon. Although cinnamon makes for a great pumpkin experience, leaving it out seems to allow the pumpkin to shine.



Rose's Pumpkin Bread

3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg (fresh grated nutmeg is best!)
2/3 cup water
2 cups pumpkin (1 15-ounce can pumpkin will work)
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 large loaf pans (9" by 5") and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together and beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer until smooth. Divide into the loaf pans. Each pan will be about 2/3 full.

Bake for 50-60 minutes. Make sure center is done - a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.

Note: This bread freezes very well.

Note: For muffins, bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Note: We have added chocolate chips to this recipe, and it was delicious!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOUR SITE AND YOUR FOOD! I recently made pumpkin cheesecake muffins from a pumpkin bread recipe - it was super yummy and portable... I'm sure you can convert this recipe to that as well... pecans and cream cheese with a bit of the cake mix on top - made it all delectible!

Colleen said...

Pumpkin bread is one of my favorite things about fall! I can't wait to make it!

Woman with a Whisk said...

Yummy, yummy! I'm thinking about getting pretty cardboard boxes for these and giving them out as gifts for the holidays this year. This looks like a perfect recipe to do it with!

gfs said...

Mmmm... I love the colour of this bread! I've never made pumpkin bread but have enjoyed it everytime I've eaten it - so this is bookmarked for the next time I buy some pumpkin!

 

Made by Lena