Monday, February 16, 2009

Blueberries, Bananas, and Oats - Oh My!



These muffins are chock-full of some of my favorite ingredients. I combined about 5 recipes to come up with this one so that I could get all of my favorite things in one healthy muffin! Crispy on top, fluffy in the middle, and full of delicious flavor. You will never be able to tell that these are low in fat and high in fiber!

VV Tip: If you ever end up with that one lonely banana left over that turns brown, throw it in the freezer. This way, you can keep your bananas perfectly ripe until you're ready to bake something with them! I usually freeze one here and there until I have enough to make some banana bread or some muffins.


Banana-Blueberry-Oat Muffins

1 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
1 cup oats, rolled or quick
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup buttermilk or fat free sour cream
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line or grease the wells of a cupcake pan.

In a large bowl combine flour, oats, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk until completely combined.

In a small bowl, beat together eggs, applesauce, sour cream, and bananas. Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl containing the dry ingredients and stir until almost completely moistened. Add the blueberries and continue stirring JUST until completely moistened. Your batter should be lumpy. Don't over-mix or your muffins will be rubbery.

Fill muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

You can mix up the batter the night before and bake the muffins fresh in the morning. They also freeze very well.

5 comments:

Candace said...

I will definitely try these! I love muffins and I wouldnt have to feel guilty for eating these!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

shut your mouth these look good!!! bananas and blueberries....oh my =)

Anonymous said...

These look so good and hearty. I love to keep muffins in the freezer for breakfast on the go. I'm definitely going to try these!

Janet said...

These look SO good....and healthy. I def want to try these soon. I love muffins but most recipes are too unhealthy. These look great!

Dana Tate said...

I found this recipe on another blog that linked back to yours. I made these muffins this morning for my daughter (blueberries are on sale here ) We both really liked them. I have also really enjoyed the rest of your blog. Thanks!

 

Made by Lena