Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hummus My Favorite Tune


Hummus is a favorite snack in our household, and I've been wanting to try making my own hummus for a while now. I've heard that not only is it cheaper to make it yourself, but it's also much more delicious to make it from scratch. I am one vintage lady who loves to make things from scratch on the cheap, so I was excited to try this out!

I got this basic hummus recipe from a fellow food blogger - Katie from Good Things Catered. You should definitely check out her blog for lots of fabulous recipes and tips.


Hummus

From Katie of Good Things Catered

1 12-ounce can of chick peas (also called garbanzo beans)
1-2 large cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons tahini (sesame paste)
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon salt

Drain chick peas, reserving their water/juice in a small bowl. In a food processor (or blender), mix together the chick peas with the rest of the ingredients, being careful to add second half of lemon juice and tahini slowly, stopping to taste. Slowly add some of the reserved liquid from beans and a bit of water for correct consistency. Process for about 1-2 minutes until a smooth paste is formed. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. This changes the taste of the hummus by allowing the flavors to form.

To dress the hummus up for the table, the traditional way of serving is on a plate, with an extra drizzle of olive oil on top and a sprinkle of paprika and chopped parsley. Serve with warm pita bread or pita chips, and fresh veggies like sliced cucumber, baby carrots, or grape tomatoes.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Liz said...

I love homemade hummus!

Ally said...

Don't you just love it? I use the same recipe (got from my sitti). Store bought just isn't the same. and now looking at your pic, I want some! lol!

Amy said...

Yum, that looks so good!

Anonymous said...

YUM!!! Im so glad you made your own. It's sooo much better. My *secret* ingredient is just teeeeeeny pinch of turkish spice mix (or try a tenny pinch of cumin and dry mustard) and you brought it from yummy to WOW!

 

Made by Lena