Friday, February 13, 2009

By the Roads of VInes and Olives . . .



Confession: I don't like olives. At all. Not even in a martini. I love a good olive oil, but I just can't get excited about the pungent flavor of an actual olive.

That said, this is one of the only dishes that I absolutely love, which features olives. These tasty, elegant canapés are absolutely delicious - crispy and rich with melted cheese, and the hint of curry powder gives it a subtle zing. Yeah, yeah, and the olives are good too, I guess!

This is from my sweet Auntie Gladys! What could be more delicious and sophisticated than a ripe olive canapé and a glass of wine? But beware - once you taste just one of these, you will be addicted for life!

Olive Canapés
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup finely-chopped onions
1 1/2 cups Kraft Old English Cheddar Cheese spread
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small tin ripe olives, drained and chopped
1 french baguette, sliced thin

Ingredient note: any small sliced bread will work - I like to use the small loaves of rye cocktail bread when I can find it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine all ingredients. Heat until cheese is melted and all ingredients are well-incorporated. Spread cheese mixture generously on each piece of bread, and place on a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, or until cheese begins to puff and turn golden brown.

Note: The cheese mixture can be made ahead and frozen.


2 comments:

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

oooh, i LOOOOOOOOVE olives...i'll have to try this =)

Unknown said...

Um, I love this recipe! Emily and I call it "I can't believe it's olive" toast! A classic.

 

Made by Lena