Friday, July 3, 2009

Another Blueberry Muffin Recipe



There is nothing better on a summer morning than freshly baked blueberry muffins made with perfectly ripe berries at the peak of their season. I'm taking advantage of this time of year to test out a few different muffin recipes so that I can pick out my favorite. It's so difficult with all the fun varieties out there to pick a favorite - these are tender and buttery, fluffy and moist on the inside with a nice crispy top - absolutely heavenly. But I also like my blueberry streusel muffins, too!! I think both recipes have earned a place in my muffin rotation!

Blueberry Muffins
adapted from the Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking

1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and grease a 12-tin muffin pan.

Cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending completely.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Measure the vanilla into the milk in a measuring cup. With your mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture and the milk mixture alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour (because that's the way my momma taught me!). Mix just until blended, and then gently fold in the blueberries.

Divide the batter evenly in the muffin cups, filling them almost full. Bake for 25 minutes, until lightly golden brown. The muffins should spring back when you gently poke the tops with your fingertip. Cool in the tins for 10 minutes before removing them to a rack. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or Earl Grey tea!


3 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

You can never have too many good muffin recipes - this one looks like a keeper!

the happy family said...

i just made banana blueberry muffins - guess great minds think alike - ha!

Anonymous said...

Your blueberry muffins look great! I haven't made muffins in a while, you may have inspired me!

 

Made by Lena