Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Old Fashioned Homemade Lemonade



Another one of my first cookbooks when I was growing up was the the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook. I'm not afraid to admit it - I love those books AND the movies! I have to watch every time Anne comes on public television. This Old Fashioned Homemade Lemonade was a summer favorite year after year.

Old Fashioned Lemonade
from the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
grated peel over one lemon
1 1/2 cups lemon juice
Ice cubes
Cold water
Fresh mint leaves

Measure the sugar, the water, and the lemon zest into a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil for five minutes, stirring constantly. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.

Add the lemon juice to the cooled mixture. Pour this syrup into a jar and cover tightly with a lid. This syrup can be kept in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.



When you're ready to enjoy some lemonade, put ice in each serving glass and pour 1/4 cup of the lemon syrup over the ice. Add 3/4 cup of cold water over the top, and stir. Add some fresh mint leaves to each glass. Yield approximately 12-14 glasses. Enjoy!


9 comments:

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

yum!

you should definitely put some firefly in this =)

Brittany said...

I've been lurking for awhile, but I've really been enjoying your blog. I hope you are doing well!

The only thing better than Homemade Lemonade made from an Anne cookbook would be Raspberry Cordial made from an Anne cookbook. :)

Erin said...

It's hard to beat a cold glass of lemonade in the summer!

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

I love fresh home made lemonade! But I have not had it since I was a little girl! I will definitely be making and trying this soon! Thanks for reminding me about this great summer treat!

Anonymous said...

YUMMMM!!! NOTHING is better on a hot summer day!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That looks so good! That's it, I'm coming over. ;)

Tuquyen Yee said...

Love this! And absolutely love the AoGG cookbook! ***runs to go dig it out***

Sara said...

I loved Anne of Green Gables too! The lemonade looks delish...gorgeous photos! :)

{kiss my spatula} said...

looks soooo refreshing! perfect for sitting on the porch!

 

Made by Lena