Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Green Chilaquiles



So, you know me, dear readers. I can't just stop at making salsa out of my tomatillos. I had to incorporate them into a fabulous new dish! I kept reading about green chilaquiles - basically glorified nachos with chicken and tomatillo salsa. I decided to go for it, even though my husband is not a huge fan of chips or nachos.

He ate three bowl-fuls of this stuff!

This dish was delicious! The toasty cheese compliments the tangy salsa perfectly, all atop deliciously moist chicken and crunchy tortilla chips. This one is a keeper!!!

Green Chilaquiles

3-4 big handfuls tortilla chips
1 cup salsa de tomatillo (see recipe above)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cups shredded monterrey jack cheese
Cilantro, for garnish

Preheat your oven to broil, and grease a 9x9-inch baking dish. Lay a generous bed of tortilla chips across the bottom of the prepared dish. Spread an even layer of chicken over the top of the chips. Drizzle the salsa de tomatillo evenly across the chicken and sprinkle with the cheese.

Broil for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.


5 comments:

Becca said...

Love how the bright green of the cilantro really pops against the cheesy goodness. I bet this would be great with blue corn chips!

Colleen said...

ooh yum! This looks so simple and delicious!

elly said...

Mmm, I LOVE chilaquiles so much. Looks great!

gfs said...

Oh wow this looks so tasty!

Farmgirl Susan said...

This is the kind of thing I love to make - and now you have me craving fresh tomatillo salsa. Too bad my tomatillo plants in the kitchen garden are only about 8 inches high! :)

 

Made by Lena