Friday, July 31, 2009

Strawberry Bread



This recipe hadn't been made by anyone in my family in about twenty years - until last week. I made a loaf for hubby and me so that we could have a summery breakfast bread to take on the go in the mornings - and just one bite of this incredibly unique bread took me back to when I was a little girl. So moist and flavorful with a hint of spice, and the bursts of juicy-sweet berries . . .

I had to make it again, this time two loaves! A nice thick slice in the morning with my cup of coffee - the perfect way to start a summer day!



Strawberry Bread

from my mom's friend Alice

2 1/2 cups strawberries, chopped (frozen strawberries work too!)
2 tablespoons sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 eggs, beaten
1 ¼ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium bowl, mix the strawberries with the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until the juices start flowing!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease well two 8x5-inch loaf pans. Combine first 5 ingredients in large mixing bowl; make a well in the center. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients (except strawberries), stirring just until combined.

Gently fold in the strawberries with their juices. Divide evenly between the prepared loaf pans, and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaves come out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then remove to racks.

Note: this recipe also makes great muffins. Fill muffin cups almost full and bake for 20-25 minutes.


7 comments:

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

yummmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Ellie! Geeze, how do you know to post all my favorites? Not fair! I want some! :)

Candace said...

I might have to pull out the KA mixer for this one!

Kerstin said...

What a delicious loaf of bread - yum!

Heather said...

That looks delicious!!!

Becca said...

mmm...wish it was still strawberry season in these parts. Luckily, we're getting blueberries now, so I'll try this recipe with our next batch of CSA blueberries!

Colleen said...

I have never made strawberry bread - but I will be making this one soon!

 

Made by Lena