Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Amish Baked Oatmeal, with a Modern Twist



I always eat breakfast, every morning. You've got to. Mom says. But I usually eat it on the run.

I'm weird. I don't get hungry until about 2 hours after I wake up. So it makes the most sense for me to take breakfast with me to work in the morning and enjoy it with my travel mug of coffee when I get there. (Those of you who know me "in real life" know that I have one heck of a commute.)

So my favorite weekday breakfasts are muffins, granola bars, and Greek yogurt. I love oatmeal with raisins in the winter, fruit smoothies in the summer. But this recipe is perfect for any time of the year.

Baked oatmeal is a traditional Amish dish, but this version uses some modern ingredients to update a classic. The oatmeal is packed with fiber, and the protein-rich soy milk will keep you full until lunch time. The cherries, hazelnuts, and chocolate chips add those extra anti-oxidants and fatty acids that keep your body healthy. And it's a super hearty, super tasty accompaniment to your coffee, to boot!

This is also a super-versatile recipe. It would be great with mashed-up banana and walnuts, with dried apricots and pecans, or even raisins and almonds - yum!


Amish Baked Oatmeal, With a Modern Twist

Inspired by a variety of online sources, and by my favorite flavors

2 cups rolled oats
2 cups light vanilla soy milk (recommended: Silk)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
A pinch of nutmeg
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and grease a 8x8" baking dish.

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Bake for about 30 minutes, until oatmeal is golden brown.

This stuff is best served warm, but you might want to cool for easier slicing. Then you can store the squares, freeze them, microwave them, toast them - they're ready and on-the-go!

4 comments:

Linds said...

Ooo this looks fabulous! I can't wait to try this out, thanks for sharing!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

These look like a great breakfast on the go!

Kerstin said...

Great breakfast idea - they look really tasty and I love you idea to put in bananas and walnuts!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i don't get hungry in the am either!! i have breakfast only because i'll starve by lunch otherwise =)

 

Made by Lena