Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cheez-It Chicken


As a southern girl, it is my right - nay, my duty - to use copious amounts of cheese in my cooking. For me, this is not a problem. At all. Not only is my favorite food macaroni and cheese, but I really am a very big fan of cheese all-around, as you can tell from the sheer number of posts on this blog that involve cheese.

My weakness when it comes to snacky foods? Crunchy, salty, savory, cheesy chips. I'd say it's a tie for all-time favorite between Cheez-Its and Cheetos. Doritos and those Kettle Chips with New York Cheddar and Herb come in at a close second.

So does it surprise you to see me using Cheez-Its to make dinner? It really shouldn't. I thought you knew me better by now, dear readers . . .

This chicken has a crunchy, tangy crust but inside it's more juicy and tender than your wildest chicken dreams.



Cheez-It Chicken

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups cheez-its, crushed in a baggie or using a food processor

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Grease an oven-safe dish that your chicken will fit in comfortably. Rinse your chicken breasts and pat them dry with paper towel. Season on both sides with salt and pepper, to taste. In a shallow dish, combine the sour cream and buttermilk. Arrange the crushed Cheez-Its in a second shallow dish. Dip each chicken breast into the sour cream mixture, then into the Cheez-Its so that they adhere and form a crust. Place the chicken in your prepared baking dish, leaving about 1" between the breasts.

Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Enjoy!

~~***~~

PS: Pretty rockin' photos, huh?! I used my brand new light box mini photo studio made out of a box, tissue paper, and a piece of poster board. Check out how to make your own here.

11 comments:

Maryanna said...

I've heard this chicken is so good. I'm going to have to give it a try. Oh, and I love the light box picture.

Nate K. said...

Wow, that is great. Every time I want to incorporate snacks into dinner, people seem disgusted (oreos + pasta does equal dinner in my book). xD

Molly Jean said...

Wowza! Your photos look incredible!

I love that you have a light box now... so fun!

Dinner sounds delish too ;)

Anonymous said...

Nice photo! Yay for your light box!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

OMG. seriously, come live with me....i will shop for you, and you can cook =)

{The Perfect Palette} said...

um i think i need to come over for dinner.

Kelsey said...

Great job on the chicken and the picture! A fantastic post all around!

Candace said...

Ive made this before with crunched up sour cream and cheddar baked lays... its one of my FAVORITES!!!

Kristen616 said...

What a great idea! My DH will love it...definitely will be trying it soon!

Melissa said...

I have a deep love for cheez-its, also. The meal and photo look awesome!

Karly said...

This looks delicious! I think my whole family would love it.

I've been meaning to make a lightbox too. I just need to get to the store and buy the lamps and I should have everything (except the time to do it)! Your photo motivates me to get working on it!

 

Made by Lena