Monday, April 20, 2009

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Cookies



After college, mom and her two best friends lived together in a one-bedroom apartment in Atlanta. The apartment came with 2 cats. None of them knew much about cooking, but they would make these cookies together from Kay's grandmother's special recipe.

This cookie has a delicate crumb, a cakey texture, and a subtle spice. Warm out of the oven is the best way to eat them. They are also amazing with chocolate chips in place of the raisins. I have grown up eating these delicious scone-like treats. This comforting, old-fashioned cookie goes perfectly with a tall glass of cold milk!



DoDo's Oatmeal Cookies

from my mom's friend Kay's grandmother Dodo

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups oatmeal
2 cups chopped raisins
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
8 tablespoons buttermilk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter, sugar, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the oatmeal. Sift flour, soda, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Then gently stir in the raisins and the nuts - do not overmix. Drop on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such comfort food! These look fabulous!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love your pics and how well the presentation is plated on your plates! Great job!

Kira said...

Yum! I love cakey cookies.

Tycha said...

Just made some oatmeal and raisin cookies myself. Yours look really tasty too!

Carrie said...

I'm just noticing that you and my mom have the same china. Nice.

the happy family said...

oatmeal raisin are my favorite kind of cookie. i love making them for my carnivore too. makes me feel better about giving him a cookie if there is fruit and oatmeal in it...

 

Made by Lena