Monday, December 8, 2008

My Father-In-Law's Favorite Cookies



My father in law has one weakness: coconut macaroons! Since he was going to be at our Christmas gathering, I wanted to make him his favorite treat.

I've tested a lot of different macaroon recipes - the ones that use condensed milk seemed promising, but ended up too dry. The ones based on egg whites sounded okay, and they ended up being PERFECT.

I've adapted my own recipe from the one found on the back of Baker's angel flake sweetened coconut package, and it gets a huge grin and a hug from my father in law every single time!

Coconut Macaroons with Milk Chocolate Drizzle
1 package (7-ounce) sweetened flake coconut (about 2 2/3 cups)
1/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 egg whites, beaten lightly with a fork
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Mix coconut, sugar, flour and salt in large bowl. Stir in egg whites and almond extract and vanilla extract until well blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Here is what they will look like before they go into the oven:



Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, or until edges of cookies begin to turn golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to wire racks. Cool completely.

Put chocolate chips in small microwave-safe dish and microwave in 20-second increments until chips are melted. Spoon melted chocolate into a small zip-lock bag. Snip a small corner off of the zip-lock bag with a pair of scissors. Squeeze strands of chocolate onto cooled macaroons. Allow the chocolate to set before stacking.

Makes about 20 macaroons.

4 comments:

Kira said...

I am planning to make some macaroons soon. These look delicious, and I love the idea of topping them with just a drizzle of chocolate!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmmm... macaroons are wonderful. I love the drizzle of chocolate too!

Carrie said...

How fun, I made macaroons last year but wasn't too pleased with them, I might have to try these!

Bekkah said...

This recipe reminds me of the one in my better homes and gardens "cookies and candies" cookbook circa 1968. You're right... egg whites are the way to go!

 

Made by Lena