Monday, June 29, 2009

My Best Banana Nut Bread



Dear readers, this past weekend was my very first farmers market selling bread on our town square. It was so much fun! The whole experience was an all-around success. I made new friends, got to know some local farmers, and even traded a few loaves for some fresh produce for next week's baked goods!

In preparing for this fun adventure, I went to some of my tried-and-true go-to recipes. Here is my very best banana nut bread. I've been making it for 10 years or so, and it's evolved with tweaks here and there. These little babies sold like hotcakes on Saturday morning!

My Best Banana Nut Bread
originally based on a recipe from Allrecipes.com

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
A pinch of nutmeg
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup mashed banana
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter, eggs, banana, and vanilla, mixing just until combined. Stir in the nuts, if desired.

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Enjoy!


12 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

Banana bread is so comforting and tasty. I will be bookmarking this recipe, as Ive been looking for one that is "the best". There are so many versions out there, it is nice to find one that is a winner :)

The Cooking Photographer said...

I'd like a slice of that for breakfast this morning. Rice Krispies just isn't cutting it now!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

oh my gosh...this looks DELICIOUS!!! now i really hope i get my mixer =)

Ali said...

This looks fabulous. One of my favorite ways to eat banana bread is regular or toasted with cream cheese. Thanks for the recipe, I have a few ripe bananas ready to go for this. :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks delicious!!

Cate said...

I would love a loaf of this right now! I still haven't found my ultimate banana bread recipe... I have a few that I really like, but maybe this will be The One!

Jennifer said...

That looks PERFECT!!!!!! I want banana bread now!

Hillary said...

That looks so creamy and gooey and delicious! Now all it needs is chocolate. :)

Ashley Pepitone said...

Just made this and had a slice for dessert. Don't you ever doubt yourself for one millisecond- this is your CALLING!

Nicole said...

That is one gorgeous loaf of banana bread!!

Meredith said...

this might be the best banana bread ever! made it last night and it's pretty darn tasty,thanks for a fantastic recipe!

Lani Vento said...

Oooh, this looks like a good version. I like the spices in it. My secret ingredient is grated lemon rind. There, the secret's out. It just so happens I have bananas on the counter waiting to be made into b bread, so I'm going to use your recipe...thanks!

 

Made by Lena