Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Georgia Peach Cobbler



Yes, dear readers, I know I just posted a recipe for peach cobbler a mere three days ago, but are you seriously complaining?? Peach cobbler is the best!! And this one is different - you'll see . . .

So this recipe comes from our across-the-street neighbor when I was growing up - my mom's friend Mary. It used to be that people thought I was crazy when I would make this recipe, but nowadays, I think there are a few similar versions floating around the internet.

Basically, you melt a stick of butter in a pan. (This is the way any good southern recipe starts, right?!?) Then you pour your batter into the melted butter and pour your peaches over the top of the batter. The best part is that you aren't supposed to stir! How easy can this get?

And the final product? Crispy butter-fried dough puffs up and bakes all around the juicy-sweet peach slices. Again, the hint of cinnamon (barely a whiff) really brings out the depth of that golden peach flavor.

Georgia Peach Cobbler
From my mom's friend Mary

4 cups fresh Georgia peaches, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
A dash of salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the sliced peaches and the 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for several hours, until the juices start to run.

Place the butter in a 9x13" baking dish. Put it in the oven for 3-4 minutes, until the butter is completely melted.

Meanwhile, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the milk and stir just until combined.

Remove the dish with the butter from the oven. Pour the prepared batter over the butter. Do not stir!

Next, pour the peaches over the batter and butter. Do not stir!

Finally, sprinkle the cinnamon evenly over the top. Return the dish to the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the batter sets and turns a golden brown on top. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.


11 comments:

Candace said...

Thats how I make my cobbler and its SO good!

Anonymous said...

oh my this looks heavenly!

Anonymous said...

That is how my mom made it when I was growing up. It is still one of my favorites.

Michelle said...

I just made a raspberry and blueberry cobbler like this a couple of nights ago. I will have to try your version, it looks even better!

alauna said...

one cannot post too many peach cobbler recipes. this looks easy and delicious :)

Anonymous said...

Looks just like my Great Grandma's cobbler! I love it!

Southern Aspirations said...

I love it! Looks scrumptious. I will be pulling my recipe out this weekend. But will have to try yours too!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks fantastic as usual!

Anonymous said...

Okay, SERIOUSLY - THIS is food pron for me!! i'm drooling. THanks for ruining my keyboard, dude. :P

Melissa said...

That looks so delicous...I've never tried making a cobbler, this is going on my to-make list!

Colleen said...

Ooh YUM! I am drooling at this pic!

 

Made by Lena