Friday, June 19, 2009

Proud to Be a Georgia Peach!



It's no mystery around here that I am a Georgia girl, through and through. One of the best things about being in my beautiful state at this time of year is PEACHES.

I can (and do?) eat fresh Georgia peaches morning, noon, and night when they are in season. I like them cut into juicy-tart chunks on top of my cereal in the morning, I like them sliced and peeled next to my sandwich at lunch time, I like them in my salsa with a cold drink in the afternoon, and I like them underneath a fluffy-moist, crispy-sweet biscuit crust after dinner throughout the summertime.

Throw in some blueberries if you must, but the peaches are the star of this dish! I made this one up on the fly - it's very versatile - you will fall head over heels for the subtle flavor that the honey lends to the fruit and to the crust!!


Align Center
Peach-and-Blueberry Cobbler

3 cups of fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon honey (local is best!)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
A pinch of salt

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, cold
1 cup buttermilk
An extra drizzle of honey
An extra sprinkle of sugar

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease a deep pie dish or a 9x9 baking dish and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the peaches, blueberries, honey, lemon juice, sugar, and salt. Set aside to let the juices get to flowin'!

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter until a flaky mixture forms. Pour in the buttermilk and stir just until a soft and supple dough forms.

Next, pour the fruit with all their yummy juices into your prepared baking dish. Then dollop the biscuit dough over the top by spoonfuls. Finally, use a spoon to drizzle some extra honey over the top of the dough. Sprinkle lightly with sugar, and pop it into the oven for about 30 minutes, until the crust is a deep golden brown and the fruit is bubbly. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!


11 comments:

the happy family said...

i love cobbler - like all good southern women. this one looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

You're preachin' to the choir, my fellow belle! :) That looks divine!

Salon de Sucre said...

Im writing down the groceries list with those ingredients! I NEED to make this cz I NEED to eat this :)

BMK said...

This looks over the top delicious!

Salon de Sucre said...

Ok its in the oven now and I will tell you how it goes..

Salon de Sucre said...

OHMYGOD!!!!this was so delicious! my whole family loved it!!! I only used peaches thu cz we had no berries.
But the top of the cobbler didnt appear like yours , it was a bit flat and all of it was one color .. hmmm I wonder why.

The Blue Eyed Chef said...

I made this yesterday for Fathers Day b/c my dad loves peach cobbler...it was such a hit! So good that my mom whos from the north even said it was the only cobbler she's ever liked! Thanks for such a yummy recipe

The Blue Eyed Chef said...

I made this for Fathers Day yesterday bc my dad loves cobbler (especially peach)...is was delicious!! Even my mom who is from the north said it was the only cobbler she has ever liked. YUMMY!!!!!

Southern Aspirations said...

Oh I adore Georgia Peaches too and will be baking my never-fail Peach cobbler tomorrow I hope. This one looks great too. Can it get any better than this time of year-- peaches and fresh berries!!?? Devastating to my diet.

Kerstin said...

Oh, a real Southern peach cobbler, I'll definitely have to try this! I usually do a crumble on top of my peaches, but I've been wanting to try it with a biscuit top. Looks great!

Elle said...

This looks fabulous! I want some right now, for breakfast.

 

Made by Lena