Sunday, June 7, 2009

Yellow Summer Squash Casserole



Yellow Summer Squash Casserole
from my mom

3 pounds yellow summer squash
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 more tablespoons butter
about 1/2 cup crushed crackers or bread crumbs

Wash and slice up the squash. Boil or steam until tender, drain thoroughly, then mash.

Add the onion, eggs, butter, sugar, salt, and pepper to the squash. Pour mixture into a greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter, and then spread it over the top of the squash. Sprinkle with crackers or bread crumbs.


Bake in 375 degree oven for approximately 1 hour, or until brown on top. Let the casserole cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

hmmm - I never think to make squash in the summer - I'll have to try this!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Looks great. Squash casserole is one of my favorites!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

this looks delicious and I love the rich yellow color! (I've missed commenting on your blog for a bit so it's so good to have some time and catch up with all your cooking/baking! :) )

BMK said...

Yum! The only way I will eat yellow squash is in a casserole like this. I love that yours doesn't use any canned soup in it.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Garden fresh veggies turned into deliciousness.

{The Perfect Palette} said...

seriously, you need to come over!!! you're in north ga right?? I think we need to coordinate a dinner party :)

Mrs D said...

This looks fabulous!

Kerstin said...

What a great way to use up summer squash if you have a garden - looks so good!

 

Made by Lena